Global Stewards has a great article about getting rid of these junk mail offers. Here's the gist of it:
- To remove your address from the list of many companies for up to five years, contact the Direct Marketing Assocation. You can go to this website to find out how.
- Call up companies directly to ask to be removed from their mailing lists: Val-Pak Coupons (1-800-676-6878), America Online Discs (1-800-827-6364), and Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes (1-800-645-9242).
- Call and ask your credit card company to stop selling out your name!
- Try not to fill out contest cards.
- 50% of all junk mail is thrown away without being open (you hear that, mailing companies?)
- 100 million trees were consumed to produce U.S. junk mail for one year. Now that is just ridiculous.
- The average adult spends 70 hours each year dealing with junk mail. That's for all of you that can't seem to find enough time on your hands to do everything!
- Junk mail produces more greenhouse gas emissions than 2.8 million cars. Again, unbelievable.